Thursday, September 22, 2016

VHS Tapes and Other Issues

7:56am                         Writing Practice                          52°  Boise

First day of Fall, officially, but it's been turning since July. Basically, it's almost winter. Another month and that will be it, snow will be flying. I remember one October 13th, we got snow --- big, puffing, heavy, wet snow that didn't last but the day and it wasn't too cold. When was that? 2010 maybe? I remember working at the diner, that's the image I get when I think of it ... the diner and State St in the snow. Then in 2014 we got an arctic blast on November 10th and that was it, winter was on and we got an early winter the next year in 2015 as well. I like it when we don't get snow or ice cold until at least December. That gives the trees and other growing things time to prepare before it hits. My pear tree out back has just started with a few yellow leaves, it needs to get on with it. I like to get the leaves cleaned up before the worst weather hits and that's hard to do if the weather hits too early. Maybe I'll try to get out there a few times and keep up as they fall. I don't want slimy leaves on my new deck.

It clouded up and rained yesterday and overnight. The forecast is cloudy today and tomorrow but clearing up to sunny and warm for the rest of the week after that. Guess I'll have a driveway sale on Saturday. It's early yet and still wet out back, especially the deck. Mostly I just want to get stuff cleared out and I don't have a way to get it to the Youth Ranch so I'll do it from here. No big deal. Nothing will be marked, I'll just get what I can from things and be glad of it. I went through the DVDs last night and sorted out a whole bunch. Today I'll sort the videos and only keep the very best, rarest ones. Then I guess I'll throw the rest away. Wait, not so fast ... I just checked online and it seems that VHS tapes are considered electronic toxic waste and I can't just toss them into the landfill. But no one else wants them either. I just posted about it on Facebook, we'll see if anyone has any ideas or if there is a local option for proper disposal. I also have an old tube-style TV to dispose of and I can do that next Tuesday at the hazardous waste set up at Albertson's on Vista. Perfect! Maybe they'll take the tapes as well. I'll ask.

The cats are sitting on the back of the couch looking out the window; you can see the disgust at being trapped indoors wafting off of them like fumes. I hope it dries up enough to let them out this afternoon --- otherwise I'll have some pretty unhappy cats.

Well, I woke up too early, yet again, and now I'm sitting here wanting to go back to bed. The dark day doesn't help. This is a perfect day for a lie-in or keg-up. But I really want to solve my sleep issues! I stopped taking my sleep aide a few weeks ago when I read that it damages the brain and may contribute to dementia and Alzheimer's. Dang! On one hand, what the study showed was a 19% increase in the chances of getting those conditions if one pill a day is taken. I typically take a half pill with my magnesium. I also take my Juvenon which is good for brain health and so is ASEA. You know what? I may be willing to take my chances since I'm taking such good care of myself otherwise ... I need my sleep! Sleeping lousy messes up my whole day and I just hate it! On the other hand, both my grandmother and my mother suffered from dementia of some sort but neither of them took care of themselves like I do. Also, the study suggested that the damage was permanent, which means that any damage I've already done is done, no reversing that. I'm not sure I believe it, other studies show major brain plasticity even under the most dire circumstances. After all is said and done, I'm going to begin taking my half-a-blue-pill again and see if I can steady out my sleep. Starting tonight.

Yesterday I hand-wrote a bunch of stuff about Home and I also have a whole page of notes in my Spiral, so today I'll get out my headgear and read all that into a document for the files. Soon I have to begin my project in earnest, I've vowed to write 500-1000 words a day until I get a first draft complete, on or before March 25th. Six months. I can do this. I want to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment