Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Waiting to Take Off

Boise, ID                                          Writing Practice                                   9:06am

Don't know the temperature but it's chilly out and supposed to rain more today. The weather just doesn't want to warm up for some reason. We had a hell of a storm yesterday evening and I got stuck in it beside a locked door. While I was being pelted by hail, it occurred to me that what I was experiencing right then was symbolic of the life I have now ... a lot has changed since I last wrote in this journal.

Pondering a move to Mexico, I plotted out the best way to make to get the job done. I was going to rent out my house but the more I thought about it, the less appealing that idea was. Remembering last winter and the ice dam on the back of the house and how the back door was stuck shut for 3 weeks and the seal on the office window broke made me not want to worry about that house while I was 2200 miles away. So I decided to sell it. And after that, life took on a pace of its own. I listed the house mid-April or so and then a week later, before we even had it in the MLS, my realtor brought a cash buyer who fell in love and offered me $176,000 to move as quickly as possible. I agreed, a deal was struck and I began the process of moving.

It was all harder than I thought or maybe I was afraid of it being hard. I hate the packing part of any move so I naturally waited to start the job until the last minute and after that, I was just hanging on for dear life from May 2 to May 11 when I finally finished the last of the cleaning and handed over the keys. I intended to head south on the 12th, then delayed until the 13th but now I'm still here, staying with my sweet neighbor Pam in her beautiful home. I was going to take both my cats but Milo was so scared and miserable in the motel for 3 days, I finally relented and asked Pam if he could stay here and become the neighborhood cat. I've been here 4 nights so far and don't plan to leave until next week. I agreed to pet sit for Stephanie since Olie is entering his end-of-life phase and she doesn't want to leave him alone while she's gone for a trip to the coast.

I'd like to see Nathan but I presented him with a plan, an idea, last week and he said we should talk but he hasn't called and I'm thinking I should just head on down and not foist myself on him at this time. Ruth's cat, Pyewackett, is in liver failure and Nathan is preparing to retire on June 2nd. I'm sure those two have their hands full so the timing is poor for a visit right now. Just as well, I want to get through the Sonoran Desert as quickly as possible since I heard the temps can be as high as 115° in the day time and my air conditioner isn't working in top form.

So as you can see, a lot has transpired in a short time. I'm now homeless but I have a paid-up-for-a-year storage unit and $34,000 in a money market account at my bank and more is coming next week. I'll be saving money like crazy once I get to Lake Chapala but I'm spending it freely until then. My car is going into the shop one more time tomorrow to do a tune up, fix a sticky gas peddle and look it over once more. I got delayed in the first place when I took her in for an oil change last Friday and was told I needed a new serpentine belt, which needed a mechanic. What the hell? Gary and Robert never noticed that after all the times they had my car in their shop? Even after I told them I was driving to Mexico, they didn't even look at it?!  I also forgot to go pick up the videos and zip drives from Roots Family Memories out on Fairview and Wildwood. Now I have them but don't know what to do with them, after all. I ditched my cassette boom box last week. Maybe I'll just box them up and go stick them into the storage unit. Can't just toss them.

My pet sit starts this Saturday through Tuesday. I can take off on Wednesday with Rocky and begin my trip for real a week from today. In the meantime, I can go through the stuff in Pam's garage. I emptied the car on Sunday so she could have her garage back and I could take my car back to Dick's Stereo and have them hook up the trunk to the security system. I paid for a new keyless entry and car alarm a few weeks ago only to discover that they didn't hook up the trunk because they thought the car was too old. They didn't ask me if it came with a keyless remote, which it did, nor did they bother to look it up, they just assumed it didn't and left it off. That's what I did right after Jiffy Lube last Friday. Not only did I need a new serpentine belt suddenly, my car alarm was incomplete and they had to have access to the trunk and two more hours to get it hooked up! That did it for me. I got the belt changed out on Saturday afternoon. Meagan's husband, Ben, got home from a week away and fixed me right up, but by then it was too late to take off and I was fried. I've been resting up from the whole ordeal ever since, in the lap of security here at Pam Lucas' house.

She just got up and I can hear her talking to Milo on the landing upstairs. She's so sweet with him! He's going to love it here with her, she's a way better cat mom than me.

So that's the update so far, I'll have to write more tomorrow. My journal notebook is right here but I'd rather type right now. I've also got a blog that I need to write for and this will get me going for that --- in theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment