Thursday, June 2, 2016

Sugar Research

9:07am                              Writing Practice                          64°  Boise

No writing at all for the last two days. No reason, really, I just didn't do it. I've been focused on my yard; every evening after dinner I've been going out there to weed. I tackled the big, bad, overgrown side last Friday and in two hours I had it 1/3 done and I was wiped out. I didn't try it again until Monday because my legs were so sore, I could hardly walk. After three more sessions, that bed is clear and I've got some of the plants separated and replanted in new spots. I have four beds to plant today with the $180 worth of plants I bought yesterday. Right now it's nice and cool out and it's overcast. I hope the cloud cover keeps the temps down until I can get these plants in the ground and get this all taken care of. I may even buy bark this year --- that would help keep the moisture in the dirt and also might keep the weeds down as well. I have to run to Home Depot to get another head for my drip system before I can turn on my sprinkler system again. The head was buried under all those plants and one spigot was open. I hate losing water like that. When it's all done, I'll have a reason to be proud this year. I will have done it all on my own! I've been single 14 years and in this house for 8½ yrs and this is the first time I've really gotten in and done my own work in the front yard.

As for everything else, not much news. I'll go to the gym today to meet James. He and Bryce went to Mexico last week and so I did yard work instead of the gym. I'm still studying memoir writing but not practicing the writing much yet. My topic of sugar is a great one and the story of my mother is interesting, I think.

As far as I can tell, no one really wants to engage in the sugar issue. I mean really, who wants to think that the things we love so much, the cakes and cookies we make for treats for each other, the candies we adore and savor, are all killing us? No, the sugar issue is not popular but I truly believe it's at the core of our national health crisis. I've pondered this all the years I worked at St Luke's, wanted to know what was melting people from the inside out, what was causing gall bladders to blow in so many people, what was causing the tremendous poundage that seems to afflict everyone. I myself didn't want the answer to be sugar . I love my sweets and breads and carbs. 

In my research, the diet information in the 1970s turned against fat as the culprit in the issue of weight gain and so low fat diets became the rage. Pre-packaged foods were developed to be be low fat and in order to make them palatable, sugar was added to everything. At the time, no one knew the addictive nature of sugar, that when the sugar was added to the nation's food supply, it was akin to adding heroine to the nation's food supply. I need to watch Sugar Coated again and take notes this time. I'll need the quotes and the research from there to begin. But what I've found as I relate all this information to my own lifetime consumption choices is this: I never went in for the low fat diets. I was a big fan of low carb diets from early on. I always got fast results in weight loss and I always felt good while eating that way. Low carb requires the eating of real food, no packaged foods, so I never got hooked on that type of eating. The results have been that I've never been more than 20 pounds overweight in my entire life except for the year after I left John when I ballooned up to almost 150 pounds. But the trusty low carb diet saved me from that and in less than two months, I was back on track again and tip out at about 8 pounds overweight at this time. 

Based on all this new information, I have given up all sodas, milk, juices, candy and I've cut back on the amount of gum I chew. The gum is my cigarette substitute so that one is hard to control but the chemicals in it cause gas and diarrhea and I had a bout of that for a few weeks, not knowing it was caused by the gum. Now that I've cut that consumption in half, I'm feeling a lot better. It would be nice to cut out the gum all together, I'm sure it's not good for me, but I'm not ready for that yet.

So this is what I've been doing --- studying up on sugar, doing my research, and then digging around in the flower beds out front. Also, I've been on Facebook but not as much. I've really cut down on that as well. I got a new smart phone and I could do FB that way like everyone else, but I don't want to be doing that in public, always looking down at my phone and not noticing the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment